This article helps you to understand how to create a wordpress theme?
1. Why we need to do so?
If you want to create your theme and to design custom structure of theme as you want. then you can do it if you have basic knowledge of programming.
2. How can do it myself without impacting websites?
Follow the step to Create theme:
Step 1: Open account in FTP.
To start building your theme, first create a sub-folder in the wp-content/themes directory in your WordPress folder.The name of the folder should correspond to the name of the theme you want to create. To do this you can use either your favorite FTP client or the File Manager tool in your cPanel.
- Go to wp-content/themes
- Create folder(Website name folder)
Step 2: login into your dashboard:
- Write user name or email address.
- Write a password.
- Then click to login.
Now you can see your dashboard window look like:
Step 3: Go to appearance-> theme
you can see a Broken theme added in your theme. But there is no css.
To do this we will have to create the following files into the website folder directory:
- header.php – This file will contain the code for the header section of the theme.
- index.php – This is the main file for the WordPress theme. It will contain the code for the Main Area and will specify where the other files will be included.
- footer.php – This file will handle your footer.
- style.css – This file will handle the styling of your new WordPress theme.
You can either create those files locally with a simple text editor(like notepad for example) and upload them via FTP or you can use the File Manager tool in your cPanel to create the files directly on your hosting account.
The style sheet is the defining file of the theme for WordPress. There are a few simple things you need to do. The first is renaming the main (if you have more that one) file to style.css, next you need to add a bit of commenting to the file.
02 Theme Name: Typography Paramount
03 Theme URI: sixshootermedia.com/Description: An image-less template focusing on Typography.
04 Author: Sam Parkinson
05 Author URI: xseria.comVersion: 1.0
07 General comments/License Statement if any.
Create header and footer:
These are the basic files and basic structure of theme.
Now Refresh your site you can see basic structure of your theme.
Difficulty level [Easy, Medium, Hard].
Total time consumed.
Related Plugin workaround?